Dental bridges and implants are two most popular teeth restoration treatment options suggested to people with decayed, broken, crooked or missing teeth. Although the results of dental bridges and implants are similar, they are entirely different procedures technically.
If you’re confused between Dental Bridges or implants and unable to spot the differences, you have landed on the right page. This article will highlight the differences between dental bridges and implants and which is the best for you. So, without any delay, let’s explore!
Dental Bridges vs Implant: Overview
A dental bridge is a dental restorative option used to replace missing, broken or decayed teeth. Dental bridges are cemented on the existing natural teeth or implants to restore the overall teeth structure. Apart from strengthening the decayed or broken tooth, it enhances your teeth and smile appearance.
These are generally made of ceramic or porcelain to match the natural tooth color. In all, it is an effective and minimally invasive procedure that restores the functioning and appearance of your teeth. If you have stained your dental bridges, use Teeth Whitening treatment to restore the natural color.
Pros of Dental Bridges
- Dental bridges minimize the chances of bone loss.
- Dental bridges are great for maintaining overall teeth structure and appearance.
- It enhances the teeth’ strength and overall functioning.
- Provides adequate support to other decayed or damaged teeth.
- Protect a tooth post-RCT or root canal treatment.
Cons of Dental Bridges
- Dental bridges increase the chances of tooth sensitivity.
- Dental bridges can result in recurrent decay.
- Fracture of porcelain
- The crown color is different from the natural teeth color.
A dental implant is a highly effective and popular technique for replacing a decayed or missing tooth. These implants act like artificial tooth roots made up of non-metallic material called titanium, which are placed surgically within your jawbone and offer a stable foundation, ultimately promoting tooth functionality. This is a long-term and durable solution that improves your smile appearance.
Pros of Dental Implants
- Dental implants look and feel 100% natural as they resemble the shape and size of your natural teeth.
- Once placed in your jawbone, they are highly durable and long-lasting.
- Dental implants preserve bone health and maintain a person’s chewing and biting abilities.
- With the proper oral hygiene, dental implants can last forever.
- Since they are a permanent solution that looks and feels natural, they are highly convenient and comfortable.
Cons of Dental Implants
- Getting dental implants is a time-consuming process compared to other teeth restoration techniques.
- Since it is a surgical procedure, certain risks like nerve damage, infection or bleeding are associated.
- Dental implants do not respond well to Teeth Whitening treatment.
- Dental implants are comparatively more expensive than other treatment options.
- The healing period of the dental implant procedure is more prolonged.
- Practicing oral hygiene is crucial to maintaining implants, or it may result in other dental problems like cavities, infection or other potential complications.
Dental Bridges Vs Implant: Which Is Best For You?
Dental Bridges are evident in the mouth as they include crows to support the dental bridge. Additionally, the artificial tooth fills up the visible space between the teeth.
Dental crowns are not visible as they are designed to look 100% natural. Once the implant is covered with the restoration, it looks similar to other natural teeth and cannot be differentiated.
2. Existing Teeth
When dental bridge treatment, an enamel or a part of the natural teeth is removed to support the bridge, it impacts the health of other natural teeth.
Dental implants do not compromise or affect the overall health of adjacent natural teeth. It is a one-of-a-kind teeth restoration treatment that does not require the support of nearby teeth.
3. Jaw Health
Since dental bridges do not stimulate the underlying bone, this procedure does not address the bone loss problem.
Dental implant prioritizes jawbone health by stimulating the jaw bone through osseointegration, a medical process that prevents bone loss and maintains health.
Dental bridges are generally more pocket-friendly than dental implants, making them a popular option for restoring natural teeth. It also improves your smile appearance.
If you’re looking for a permanent solution, go for dental implants. They are comparatively expensive as they include implant fixtures lasting ten years to a lifetime if you prioritize oral hygiene.
Dental Bridges generally last for nearly 10 to 15 years on average. The period can differ based on your oral hygiene habits and wear and tear.
Generally, dental implants last for several decades or sometimes for a lifetime with proper teeth maintenance. As a result, they are considered an excellent tooth restoration option.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q.1 What questions should you ask your dentist before getting a dental bridge?
Here is the list of questions you should ask your dentists for getting a dental bridge treatment:
- Am I the right person to get dental bridge treatment?
- Are there any side effects of dental bridge treatment?
- How long does the dental bridge treatment last for?
- What are the benefits of this treatment?
- What is the cost of dental bridge treatment?
Q.2 Why are dental implant procedures so popular?
There are several reasons why dental implant procedure is prevalent. These include the look more natural and comfortable dental implant improves your facial features and enhances your chewing and speaking functionalities.
Q.3 Who should go for dental implant treatment?
- People suffering from tooth decay or cavities
- Tooth root fracture during a fight or other events.
- Grinding of your teeth
- Any facial injury
- Gum diseases
- Congenitally missing teeth
Q.4 List some practical tips to heal faster after dental bridges and dental implant procedure
Here are some practical tips to heal faster after these procedures-
- Do not skip meals
- Avoid exercising for a few days
- Take proper care of your mouth
- Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated and full
- Avoid tobacco products, smoking and drinking
Dental bridges and implants are two of the most famous treatments with advantages and disadvantages. Based on your current teeth condition, your dentist suggests a treatment procedure. Generally, dentists recommend dental implants for people with fractured or broken teeth. During the treatment, keep yourself calm, as these treatments have no potential side effects. In comparison, the result will enhance your smile and boost your confidence.