The calendar has turned to March. The Mets are starting their spring training schedule this week. The season opener is exactly a month away. Warmer weather is coming soon. It’s a beautiful time for renewed hopes and spirits in Mets land. Lots of moves were made this winter. There were also some moves that were not made by Steve Cohen, Sandy Alderson and company. Did they do enough this offseason?
To answer that question and talk about everything going on with the Mets, it’s time for the debut of Season 2 of our Mets podcast “Amazin’ But True” with Nelson Figueroa and me, including an interview with Mets great Mookie Wilson.
Amazin’ But True Podcast with Jake and Figgie:
- Busy Mets offseason. Lots of moves were made. Did they miss out by not getting one of J.T. Realmuto, George Springer or Trevor Bauer?
- Should have thrown the extra money to get Springer. They got some serviceable players to play with Brandon Nimmo in Kevin Pillar and Albert Almora Jr.
- Mets did a lot to bring in depth, where it is not a huge falloff from starter to backup. Pillar, Almora Jr., Jonathan Villar, Jose Martinez.
- Defense is the big question mark. Can Mets hang with J.D. Davis at third base and Dom Smith in left field?
- Bullpen is the other question mark. Do you trust Edwin Diaz? Do they need to add another reliever like a Shane Greene?
Nelson Figueroa Spanish Academy: Figgie teaches me how to say “spring training” and “good morning, my neighbors” in spanish. I struggle mightily.
Mookie Wilson Interview:
Mets outfielder (1980-89), 1986 World Series champion
- Playing at Mets fantasy camp with Figgie.
- His stepson Preston Wilson being traded for Mike Piazza while he was a coach for the Mets. Finding out the news from a fan with the team not even giving him a heads up. Was sad about it at first.
- If there was social media with the 1986 Mets…would have been bad. “We were ball players, not social advocates.”
- The bond that developed between him and Bill Buckner. Getting so close and talking about everything but baseball. “Us getting together was the best therapy in the world for him.” Funny story about both their daughters getting married.
- Do you beat Buckner to first base if he fields the ball in Game 6?
- Made a gospel album. He is an ordained minister. Mookie Wilson can do your weddings, Mets fans!
- How do you coach the modern player?
- Hard-nosed ’86 Mets and Lenny Dykstra as a teammate. Funny story with Wilson and Dykstra, and him using his trading cards as a form of ID.
- Will Brandon Nimmo be a good fit defensively for the Mets in center field?
Catch up on all episodes of “Amazin’ But True,” a New York Mets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Jake Brown on Twitter and Instagram @JakeBrownRadio and Nelson Figueroa @FiggieNY. New episodes are released every Monday during spring training and Mondays and Thursdays once the season begins.